Read

Thursday, May 29, 2008

If You Wish to be a Writer, Write

I went to Butler Middle School to watch my son sing with 'The Nerds and The Chosen One' in his Ninth Grade assembly this morning. It was awesome. The drummer totally rocked and the guitar solo was screamin'. They sang Don't Stop Believing which is Brighton High's theme song this year. They did a great job.
Okay, enough rambling about my darling son. By the way he is my third oldest, but my first born (figure that one out).
In the last blog I talked about illustrating, so this time I'll focus a bit on writing. One of my favorite quotes is "If you wish to be a writer, write." I guess I like it because it's a good reminder for me. It's a bit of a kick in the behind because I get so busy doing other things that writing often falls on the very end of my list a lot of days. It is one of those things that if you are going to perfect, you have to prioritize.
I have a friend who gets up early, before her husband and kids, just to write. Now that's dedication. Many conferences I have been to have all said the same thing, make a goal and write it down. Whether it's fifteen minutes a day, half a page or five hundred words, give yourself something to work toward and then do your best to achieve it. Make short term and long term goals and reward yourself when you accomplish something relevant, like actually submitting an article, poem, short story, etc.
There are contests that you can flex your writing muscles on and they are great for receiveing critique feedback even if you don't get any kind of an award. Hearing how you can improve your writing still makes you come out a winner. The League of Utah Writers has a great contest with many categories that runs every year. Other contests such as the Writer's Digest writing contest can be found on the web. The Science Fiction and Fantasy website -swfa, has a warning and caution page that talks about contests and vanity anthologies that ask you to pay them for further editing and publishing help. Improve your writing, but don't get scammed in the process.
Now get out there, make a few goals, and write!

4 comments:

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Thanks for the reminder Cathy. I need that boot in the pants once in a while.

C.L. Beck said...

Cathy,
Here I sit, reading blogs and email instead of writing. :) Better take your advice to heart and turn off my internet connection, huh?

Cute illustration on your sidebar, by the way.

ali said...

No kidding!! So what am I doing here then? :D

Candace E. Salima said...

Always good to remember.

09 10