Read

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Way Cool Special Effects!

I just got my new copy of Photoshop Elements 6. It has the neatest stuff in it that I have no idea how to access. No problem, I have a thirteen year old. Are these kids just born with a computer link in their brains? It's a little frightening. I asked him if he learned to do this stuff at school and he says "No, it's just so easy, Mom. It kind of tells you what to do." Computer link - I'm sure of it.
Anyhow, I scanned my drawing of a toy store and then opened it onto photoshop. After fooling around with the pixels and getting it to the dimensions I wanted, I added colors, changing them numerous times. I found that I had to go back and use the brush tool occasionally to finish lines so that spaces were completely blocked in, or I had a problem with the paint bucket washing color into places that I just didn't want it to go. It was so convenient to be able to change my mind about a color at the click of a button.
Once I had the colors I wanted, I began to wonder if there was something fun I could do about the glass window. Shockingly enough, under the tool area marked filter and then under distort, there was an effect called glass. All I had to do was click on the wizard tool and isolate areas that I wanted the glass effect to cover and voila, the computer gave that area a wavy glass look. Unfortunately, it looks way better blown up. With the small picture size that you see, it doesn't make much of a difference.
I will continue to experiment with photo shop. I have heard lots of friends say that they like to scan their sketches and play with color to decide what they will use before they paint. I can see how this would be a great time saver. For example, the first time that I tried the glass effect, I realized that I wanted the colors to be more muted behind the glass. Without having to spend hours repainting, I simply clicked on colors and redid everything in way less time. I'm not saying that I like the look of this photoshop picture better than other methods I have tried, and I know I have a lot more to learn that can greatly improve what photoshop can do, but it's a lot of fun along the way, even if I wasn't born with that instant computer link thing.

1 comment:

Candace E. Salima said...

I love Photoshop. It's a great way to fix pictures.

09 10