Read

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Prismacolor

For September's illustration for Stories for Children Magazine, I decided to try using prismacolor pencils. It didn't turn out too bad. They are much smoother to work with than regular pencil crayons and you can layer with them if you use them lightly. You can burnish them for kind of a polished effect at the end of your drawing if you wish. It depends on the strength of your paper, you don't want to burnish right through to the table. You'll want to seal your finished drawing with a fixative, the same as if you were drawing with charcoal or pastels. Prismacolor pencils can be pricey, but you can find them at a discount at places like Blick art supplies or CarpeDiemStore.com.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I need to have my son talk with you!! He wants to become an author and is so gifted in art too. I think you would inspire him.

Cathy Witbeck said...

That's really sweet, Amber. Thanks for checking out my blog, and I'd be happy to talk to Sabe.

ali said...

I love that you know this stuff. I have no idea what you're talking about!

Ooh and I love the Toy City drawing - love the vivid colors and the sort of stylized way you drew the mom and girl.

Told you I have no idea about this stuff, but I like it anyway!

Michelle said...

I LOVE prismacolors. I had a set in HS and College. I don't know where they are now. :( Thanks for the website addys, I know what I want for Christmas now. :)
Michelle

09 10