Read

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Writing Magic

This week I thought I would share one of my favorite books on writing with you. It also happens to be by one of my favorite children's writers. The book is called Writing Magic and is by Gail Carson Levine. She is the author of a ton of fun books including Ella Enchanted, The Princess tales and the Two Princesses of Bamarre. If you haven't read any of them, I strongly suggest you do. Gail has a sense of humor that pervades her writing and just makes her stories a lot of fun to read. But I digress, I want to tell you about her book on writing, it is written for young writers, but anyone can benefit from her wit and wisdom. Each chapter begins with an explanation and always end in a writing prompt and a challenge. If you follow the book the way it was meant, you won't only read, you'll do a whole lot of fun writing.
Gail discusses the importance of details, character development, point of view, voice, showing and not telling, dialogue, humor, writer's block, etc. I've given this book to several friends because to me it covers so many important aspects of writing, in a simple yet straightforward way. If you are interested in taking a look, you can click on Gail Carson Levine's link under Links for Children's writers to see the cover of the book and suggested places to purchase it. You may be able to get a copy at the local library, or if they don't have one, request that they get one in.
Writing should be a magic thing to those of us who enjoy it. Hopefully this book will be helpful to any newbies out there with basic questions and a desire to learn.

4 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

I've read this book also, and it's one of my favorites.

Nichole Giles said...

I love that book too! Gail taught a few classes at a conference I went to, and she is the cutest little lady. What a brilliant mind, and one who can reach any writer, at any level.

I'll take her advice any day.

Nichole

Rebecca Talley said...

I also have that book and I really like it. My daughter loves GCL books.

Cindy Beck said...

Cathy,
I'm so glad you mentioned this book. I love it! And even though it's aimed at kids, there's so much that an adult can gain from it as well.

09 10