Read

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Running Amok

I’m at a point in my life where I can paint what I want, when I want. So I painted a bat for Halloween. Actually, I painted a bat and a scairdy cat and a pumpkin. It was fun. Nobody told me what size it had to be or what medium. I just painted for fun. Sometimes I think it’s important to just have a little time to let go and paint for fun. As an illustrator, you are often given limitations as to what you can do with a story, so I think that it’s important to occasionally let your creative self run amok (and Halloween would definitely be the time for running amok). It’s kind of like escape literature, where you read to run away and enjoy yourself. Do the same thing with your paintbrush and revitalize your inner artist. Every once in a while, if you can, give yourself a break from the limitations and run amok with your imagination. You might find it fiendishly refreshing.

5 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

You are such a talented illustrator.

I think it's important to let yourself just be creative for fun.

Cindy Beck said...

Cathy,
LOVE that bat! You are so talented.

And I agree, it is important to create just for fun ... to forget all the restrictions and rules and once in a while, do just what you want.

Oh ... and thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on "The Germ Theory". I can just imagine the bugs your husband brings home! :)

becky said...

hey cath--what a creative sister. your bat is fabulous!

ali said...

I LOVE your bat! He is awesome!!!

I'm glad you're posting again too - hurray!

Elliah A. Terry said...

I like the bat, too.

09 10