Read

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sweet Dreamin' Baby

I keep a notepad by my bed in case I have a stellar dream and just have to write down something that might be good for a story. Sometimes I wake up and see that I've actually written down something fun in the night. Other times I wake up, look at the pad and see something like ASPARAGUS! written in a bold scrawl and I wonder if it was just a really bad case of indigestion.
Last night I dreamt about a girl searching for her family. In her journey, she went into an antique store. The proprieter took her to a wall that was filled with doorknobs of all kinds. The handles were anything from simple brass to painted china. One faceted glass knob seemed to glow and I knew that if she chose that knob it would take her somewhere special. I woke knowing that it could be the beginning of an intriquing adventure if I could wrap my head around it. It made me want to go back to sleep.
In an interview, Stephanie Myer says that her book Twilight was inspired by a dream. Who knows, it could happen.

4 comments:

becky said...

I still have dreams all the time that I need to borrow a truck but I am too afraid to ask dad. Do you think this could be the key to a best selling novel?

Also, my neighbor just had his first novel published--"Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford. It is Costco's book of the month if you want to check it out.

Cathy Witbeck said...

I dream about borrowing the truck on the farm too, Becky, but it's usually in conjunction with being late for school. I'm not sure how many people are interested in reading about that.Maybe if it was borrowing the truck to rob the bank or something a little more exciting it would get more attention. Oh dear, have I given myself away....

Shaunda said...

Sounds like a great beginning to me, Cathy. Go for it.

See you at the conference!

ali said...

It DOES sound intriguing! Go for it Cathy!

Many of my stories have been inspired by dreams. That's my favorite way to come up with new ideas!

09 10