Read

Monday, March 30, 2009

So You Want To Write For Children

You want to write for kids, but you don’t know where to start… have I got a deal for you. Carol Lynch Williams and Cheri Pray Earl, both published authors, have teamed up to put together an awesome course geared toward teaching new authors the basics of writing for kids. I have personally been to one of their sessions and I can tell you that it is worth every penny. For a small fee, a few hours of time and a lunch - you bring the lunch,(Cheri would probably like it if you would bring her lunch too- I believe Taco Bell is acceptable), you come away with loads of information. This isn’t the kind of class where you sit and take notes and yawn. You are involved from start to finish. Your input is expected and appreciated. You learn as you brainstorm and interact. It is the kind of class that you could go back to, take over and over and still learn from.
These ladies know their stuff. If you are serious about improving your writing, go check out their website. Luckily, its link is here on my blog. What a happy coincidence. It is called The First Story and it is under 'links for children’s writers'.

7 comments:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Thanks, Cathy! I'm going to go check it out.

Can I ask a favor? Now that you're all fresh from this awesome course, would you be willing to read through a children's picture book I wrote and give me feedback? It's only a few pages long.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

BTW - I see a link for The First Story but not The First Chapter. Is that what you meant?

Cathy Witbeck said...

Good catch, Danyelle. It is called The First Story, not The First Chapter. I changed it on my blog. And yes I'd love to read your children's picture book.

Lori Conger, said...

Thanks for the info., Cathy. You're so up on everything. I'll definitely check it out.

Laurel said...

your Ukranian egg is stunning! You are so talented! Thanks for sharing so much info.

Ali Cross said...

That's awesome Cathy! Thanks for the info!

Cindy Beck said...

Carol and Cheri are really fun to take a class from ... they crack everybody up!

Oh ... and thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I always get a kick out of your comments.

09 10