Read

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why I Write

I once wrote an epiphany poem called “Why I Write”. It was about a sudden realization that if I couldn’t paint with brushes, I could paint with words. I described the joy I felt at having an outlet for my creativity while my brushes were on hold. I talked about painting the scenery around me, the people I saw and the things they did. It turned me into a watcher and a listener, constantly picking up on bits of dialogue and characters that caught my eye.
The more that I write, and the more that I read, the reasons for writing have turned more outward. Reading has been such a big part of my world for so long. I can’t imagine a world without books. I can’t imagine a child not wanting to hear a story. I want to be a part of lighting up a young person’s imagination. I want to inspire a child to want to learn more, to do more, to be more. Can books do that? They did for me.

7 comments:

LexiconLuvr said...

Reading does the same thing for me. That's one of the reasons why I believe that electronic media won't overrule good, old fashioned books. It's a lot harder to read a picture book to a child with a kindle. (Not that I'm bashing kindles. They're cool.) You should post the poem. I'd love to read it.

Karen Hoover said...

They did for me as well. I'd love to read the poem too!

Cindy Beck said...

I agree, you should post the poem.

There's something about holding a book in your hands and turning the pages. As a kid, I loved the way books took me to a whole different world. And it's just not the same when you read electronically.

How can anyone NOT love reading?

(Oh, by the way, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.
Loved the pun about your clone! :o)

Glenna said...

That's beautiful, Cathy!!!
I know what you mean about books. I can't relate to adults, either, who don't read or don't like stories. Plus, as a writer, when I write something I'm really proud of it, I look at the printout of the words and think "Yes. THIS is who I am. This is a tangible piece of the best of who I am."

Lori Conger, said...

I love the idea of "painting with words." I'm definitely not an artist that would ever pick up a paintbrush, but perhaps I can make beautiful scenes and stories with the words I put together.

Rachelle said...

Go for it! This is great because there are so many reasons to keep writing!
I posted info about my new Ribbon Box on my blog, it’s so neat! If you’d like to see details, please stop by!

Ali Cross said...

Absolutely! Would you post your poem Cathy? I'm sure we'd all like to read it. :)

09 10