Read

Friday, February 5, 2010

True Story

Sometimes the best stories are the ones that you find right in your own family history. In this month's issue of Stories for Children Magazine there is a true story about my father-in-law's experience with a young Dutch boy during the second world war. I had to call his brother to get details for the story, because my father-in-law passed away last year. Luckily, his brother was there with him in the same unit and knew the story well. It was one of the stories that Dad actually liked to tell the grandchildren because it showed a positive side of the war, and there wasn't much of that.
The story is called 'The Mess Tin' and it is written from the point of view of the little boy. I hope I got most of what happened right. I think the emotions are pretty well summed up.
The illustration is on my blog. It was fun to do. I had my sixteen year old pose for it. The toughest part was that stinkin' fence. Later someone pointed out to me that there probably wasn't chain link in WWII era, it was most likely chicken wire. My land, try to illustrate that.
If you are interested in checking the story out, go to http://storiesforchildrenmagazine.org/default.aspx and take a look at February's issue. I also have a thrilling article on keeping your teeth clean. Booyah.

5 comments:

ali said...

That is SO cool Cathy. What a GREAT story, well done!

And pishaw on the fence. We get the point ;)

Taffy said...

I liked both stories! Good job. You inspire me to write :)

L.T. Elliot said...

Congratualtions, Cathy! Great stories and I liked the illustration--regardless of the fence. =]

Cindy (C.L.) Beck said...

That's great, Cathy! Congrats. Love your illustration, too.

C. K. Bryant said...

What a wonderful story. Well done. I quoted your post on my blog today. Take a look if you'd like.

09 10