Read

Friday, March 12, 2010

What do you do with words that inspire you?

So what do you do when you are reading along and you find a passage that just sings to you. In the past, I would have just thought, wow, I want to write like that. After talking to a friend of mine, I know what I would do now.
When Karen finds a line or a scene that touches her that way, she writes it down. She doesn't ignore it, she dedicates a little time to it. She told me if the writing was that good, she wanted to remember how it was written. In writing it down, she does two things. She keeps a copy of writing that inspires her, and she studies how the words were written.
Smart girl.
Thanks for the tip, Karen. If your goal is to write as well as some of the authors whose books you simply breathe in, could be a notebook of words that inspire you might be the way to go.

4 comments:

L.T. Elliot said...

That IS a brilliant idea. I never thought to do that before.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I have done this as well. It really does help. :)

Kellie said...

That is a great idea! I'll have to start doing that.

And yes, I did get a room for the conference. Tina Scott contacted me and said I could stay with her. Thanks!

ali said...

I love this! I found a paragraph like that this past week (in Shiver, so good) and I had to read it out loud to David because it was that good. But now I'll have to go back and write it down.

Thanks for sharing!

09 10