Read

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Where do I go from here?

This is it. Stories for Children Magazine has officially printed its last issue. Ouch. I feel so lost. These guys were my life-line. I was getting an art assignment a month from them and now I feel set adrift.
My last assignment was an illustration of a girl playing volleyball for a youth poem. You can see it posted on my blog.
I will miss the challenge of having a new story, article or poem to inspire me.
So what do I do, now that I no longer have SFC? I do have an illustrated picture book that has been on the back burner waiting to be finished. Perhaps now is the time to dust it off and see what I can do with it. I have posted a sketch from one of the pages on my blog above the volleyball picture. What do you think? Watercolor, acrylic, colored pencil? What medium would you use, and would you make any changes?

4 comments:

Shawna said...

I'm sorry to hear that! :(

L.T. Elliot said...

I rather like watercolors. =]

Sorry to hear about Stories for Children Magazine closing but I am happy to see you pursue your own stories.

elizabeth said...

It's terrible that you are set a drift... I'm sure you'll find another shore, maybe even a better one?

I think that picture would look nice with acrylic. Maybe watercolor and ink...

(The only medium I feel I am good with is pastel and even better with graphite pencil. I haven't taught myself the technique with color pencil--can you imagine how silly that sounds???) But I am determined.

Love your art! Have you seen mine?

Cathy Witbeck said...

Yes, Elizabeth, I have seen your drawings on your blog. They are very detailed and whimsical. Just the kind of thing I would expect from a writer.

09 10