Read

Friday, June 11, 2010

Who Invented the 'Senior Trip' ?

I just got back from taking my daughter and a couple of her friends on her 'Senior Trip'. We did the road trip to California thing with days at the beach and a couple of amusement parks. The girls had fun and I played chaperone/photographer. What I really want to know is, who invented this 'Senior Trip' scam anyway?
When I graduated from High School the attitude was, congratulations kid. Here's your diploma. Now go get a job.
Today I hear kids saying "What did you get for graduation? Where are you going on your Senior Trip? A sense of entitlement maybe?
So why did we give in and let her go to California? 'Cause we didn't want her to go to Mexico.
What's your take on the whole 'Senior Trip' thing. Did you go? What will you do when your kids come to you asking about where they get to go?

4 comments:

RaShelle said...

Eesh, my 8th grader is already planning her trip to Italy - yeah. I have no idea where this has come from? Well it's supposed to be "educational". *sigh* So Senior trip. I didn't have one either. I'm not sure what to think of it. I say kudos for going with her.

CL Beck, author said...

Sounds a little expensive to me. Especially if the trip is far away.

On the other hand, kids have their entire working life is ahead of them, where as adults they're lucky to get 2 weeks off a year, so maybe it's okay to let them have fun for one more summer. As long as they can pay for it themselves.

Oh ... thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Glad you liked the wacky cats. Good luck in the contest.

becky said...

I just remember that for your high school graduation, the big deal was that you wore MASCARA. Woo hoo. Did you offer that in lieu of the trip?

Lori Nawyn said...

No senior trip for me. A few years ago my son appointed himself one without my husband and I knowing until after the fact--that was interesting. Mascara and being allowed to wear high heels were high points when I was that age.

09 10