Read

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Things That Make You Go Hmmm.

At Cedar Breaks National Park, I saw a guy with this saying on his T-shirt, "The opposite of poverty isn't wealth." It's one of those things that make you go hmmm.
I discussed this with my 17-year old. You have to decide what wealth is. Is it happiness, knowledge, an abundance of friends and family.
Conversely, what is poverty. Can you live in a palace and still be poor. I'm sure there are people who are struggling in this economic depression who would beg to differ.
What do you think?

2 comments:

ali said...

Well that's kind of deep. Hmm. ;)

I think you absolutely can live in a palace and still be poor ~ poor in those things you mentioned like happiness, health, love, friendship. But conversely you can also live in poverty and still be "rich".

But still, I think the opposite of poverty IS wealth, because whether your poor of money or happiness, wealth is an abundance.

I can only hope that you and I have an abundance of the things that really matter in life.

BTW, LOVE the pics on your sidebar and holy cow you look so much like your mom!

becky said...

A while ago I figured out that wealth means being able to buy all the fruit for a big fruit salad in the same shopping trip. For so long I bought a few apples and bananas one week, oranges another week, grapes another. Whenever we wento home to the farm and Mom had watermelon, cantoloupe, honeydew, grapes etc. all in the same salad I would just snarf it down and be grateful for the rare experience.

09 10