Read

Friday, July 15, 2011

Independence Day Flash Fiction Blog Fest

I'm participating in Ali's Flash Fiction Blog Fest.
The theme is:It's Independence day and something unexpected happens . . .
Here's what happened in my twisted brain:

Lights flashed overhead in brilliant cascades of red, blue and green, the crowd yelled and cheered, but I didn’t hear anything but my own panicked heart. “Logan,” I cried, searching through a sea of faces all bent to the sky. The touch of his little fingers in mine was still there. How could he just disappear? Panicked, I pushed through the crowd. The sound of rusty hinges from a park swing pulled me toward the playground.

“Ma’m is this your son?” someone said. I swung around to see a young man in military clothing holding Logan’s hand.

“Oh Sweetie,” I cried. I clutched his little body to mine and he hugged me just as tight. I looked up with tears in my eyes to thank the boy, but he was nowhere in sight.

Standing, I said, “Logan, where is the man who brought you
to me?”

“Right over here, Mommy,” he said, leading me to a statue of three soldiers saluting the flag.

Interested in reading other entries. The other blogs are listed in the side column. Have fun.

18 comments:

Nisa said...

Ooh! That gave me goosebumps. Very neat!

Mary Campbell said...

Ooh - nice twist.

Gail said...

I really like the twist. I know that feeling of losing a child. So scary.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

AWESOME! I love how you brought the soldier to life. What a great story idea.

Stacy Henrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy Henrie said...

Sorry, I spelled a word wrong. :) I can so relate to this. We almost lost our son on our recent family vacation and that feeling is so awful. Loved that the mom found him and the twist at the end.

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

LOVE this. It gave me a thrill. My mommy heart really related.

ali said...

Ahh... this one is so touching. It brought tears to my eyes. Beautifully done, Cathy! Thanks for participating!

Debbie Davis said...

Very awesome! I got a chill as he pointed to the statues great job! I loved the pinch at the end! Fun blog fest isn'tit??

Lacie Myers said...

Wow! A soldier who has already given his life for his country is still watching over it. Beautiful idea!

Mel Fowler said...

Your story seriously gave me chills. It was good.

C. K. Bryant said...

SWEET! I love writing like this. Brings emotions out. Well done.

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

That gave me chills. I loved it.

The Write Soil

Karen Hoover said...

Oh, I loved this! Very well done, Cathy. VERY well done!

Brianna said...

I simply loved this.

Donna K. Weaver said...

That gave me chills. Lovely.

Canda said...

Soldiers--Guardian angels on both sides of life.

Brent Wescott said...

I don't find this twisted at all. Unless you mean just that there's a twist at the end...then you're doing just fine... :)

Thanks for visiting my page.

Building Castles on the Beach

09 10