Read

Friday, March 7, 2014

10 Things You Need To Believe to Write

Mette Ivie Harrison has written some amazing young adult literature, so when she speaks, I listen.
Recently she posted a list of 10 Things You Need To Believe To Write. I thought they were pretty good stuff so I've posted them here.

10 Things You Need to Believe to Write
1. Only you can write this.
2. You were born to write this.
3. People need you to write this.
4. The world is waiting for you to finish this.
5. One day, someone will tell you how much they needed to read this.
6. You can write anything you set your mind to.
7. This has a glimmer of brilliance in it.
8. The crappy words will fall away in revision.
9. My vision of the world matters.

10. I see people in a new way.

She also went on to say:

You don’t need to believe that this is going to be a bestseller. You don’t need to believe that you’re going to be a household name. You don’t need to believe that someday people will study your book in college. But you do have to work to counteract the relentless voice of defeat in your head that says:

1. No one will ever read this.
2. I am banging my head against the wall here.
Mette Ivie Harrison
3. Who am I to think I could be a writer?
4. My father/mother/partner is right. I should give up.
5. I don’t know how to do this. I never learned. No one ever taught me.
6. My voice doesn’t matter.
7. My experience is too different from anyone else’s to connect with readers.
8. I don’t know what happens next.
9. I feel too exposed. I want to hide and protect myself more.
10. I can’t expect anyone to pay me for this when they can get so many other things for free.

Thanks to Mette for letting me share your words.


4 comments:

John Crittenden said...

The words in this are so simple and true, and they go for many things besides writing. I recently retired after 50 years as a newspaper writer and editor. I've been doing art photography for about a decade and have mounted three solo shows and been in many group shows. But a month ago I was asked to co-curate two shows, one all-media and the other just photos. ALL the self doubt came up. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing. I forged on, and got in touch with the positive beliefs listed here, and I've had two unqualified successes. Now to get down to writing my novel!

Cathy said...

I totally agree with you. A lot of what I have accomplished in life is because I had parents who instilled in me the attitude that I could do anything. I have that little voice in my head saying, "You can do that." Positive attitude goes a long way.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Great advice! So much of what we achieve is powered by what we believe we can achieve. :)

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

09 10